In this post I’m going to give you some safety information and emergency numbers.
First of all Genoa is a very safe city and not a tourist trap, there is no reason to fear anything here.
Women (in group or alone) can feel absolutely safe in this genuine Italian city.
However pickpocketing and bag snatching can happen especially in typical narrow streets (called “vicoli”) after dark and on buses.
Issues are rare but prevention is better than the cure so:
- stay vigilant if you walk alone with your camera in secluded streets,
- keep your belongings safe when you travel on a bus,
- avoid to go in the old town alone in the night.
These are the main emergencies numbers:
- General emergencies: 112
- Police: 113
- Ambulance: 118
- Firefighting: 115
And some useful Italian sentences:
- Help! – Aiuto!
- Call the police – Chiami la polizia
- Someone has stolen my bag/wallet/phone/camera – Mi hanno rubato la borsa/il portafogli/il telefono/la macchina fotografica
- Call an ambulance – Chiami un’ambulanza
- I need a doctor – Ho bisogno di un dottore
I hope you won’t need any of them!